SKILLS DEVELOPMENT AND CERTIFICATION DEPARTMENT
Skills Development and Certification Department was created in the year 2010 by the office of Head of Service of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and included into scheme of service by the National Council on Establishment in their 38th meeting held in Ilorin in 2014. The Skills Development and Certification Department comprises of
- Skills Development and Training,
- Skills Certification and Testing.
The Department has Eight (8) Skills Upgrading and Vocational Training centres (S.U.V.T.Cs) established in the six (6) geo-political zones of Nigeria viz; Cross Rivers, Delta, Enugu, Kaduna, Bauchi, Lagos, Oyo and Nasarawa States. Recently two (2) centres were constructed in Alor and Ifetedunu areas of Anambra states.
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
The Director of the department is Alhaji Ibrahim M.L. Jibia.
MANDATES OF THE DEPARTMENT
Amongst the mandates of the Skills Development and Certification Department are:
- Formulation and implementation of Trade Test policies in Nigeria.
- Review of code of instruction and syllabi on Skills Development and Certification.
- Testing and certifying artisans/craftsmen.
- Training and re-training of artisans/craftsmen.
- Formulation of National Policy on Skills Development in Nigeria.
RECENT ACTIVITIES IN THE DEPARTMENT
- Construction of two (2) Specialist Skills Centres in Alor and Ifete-dunu Local Government Areas of Anambra State.
- Renovation and equipping of Ibadan, Lagos, Bauchi, Kaduna and Lafia Skills Upgrading and Vocational Training Centres
- Part payment of liability to Nigeria Security Printing and Minting Company.
- Training and Re-training activities in the Skills Upgrading and Vocational Centres of the Ministry.
OUTSTANDING ACTIVITIES/PROJECT OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Formulation of Skills Development Policy in Nigeria.
- Completion of Skills Upgrading and Vocational Training Centre in Enugu.
- Completion of Hostel Accommodation in Calabar centre.
- Review and Production of Code of Instruction.
- Supply of Consumables and Instructional materials.