PROFILE OF DR. YERIMA PETER TARFA
Dr. Yerima Peter Tarfa,
Federal Ministry of Labour & Employment
Dr. Tarfa holds a PhD in Environmental Resource Management.
Former Director, Department of Climate Change, Federal Ministry of Environment and Nigeria’s Focal Point to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
He has been the Nigeria’s Chief Negotiator on Climate Change, leading national negotiating team at climate change international negotiations and discussions.
Dr. Tarfa has over three decades experience as a professional in Climate Change and Sustainable development, with focus on Climate Change adaptation, Climate finance, and negotiations.
He was a member of several national and international bodies and held key positions as follows
- National Focal Point for Nigeria’s implementation of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), the Kyoto Protocol, Paris Agreement on Climate Change;
- Designated National Authority to the Kyoto Protocol Clean Development Mechanism (CDM);
- National Designated Authority for the Green Climate Fund;
- Nigeria’s Focal Point to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC);
- Vice Chair & Reviewer, Adaptation Fund Board (AFB) projects.
Dr. Tarfa had over the years coordinated a number of national assignments in the form of developmental projects and programs that led to the production of key national policies and strategic documents as follows;
- Preparation of Nigeria’s National Communication to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC);
- Deliver Instrument of Ratification of the Paris Agreement to the UNFCCC and any other related treaty;
- Project Coordinator, Nigeria’s Green Bond Program;
- Reform Champion & Coordinator, implementation of the Executive Order EO:001 2017 on Ease of Doing Business by the MDA;
- Development of National Sectoral Action Plan for the implementation of Nigeria’s NDC.
- Sectoral assessment of Vulnerability and Adaptation to the impact of Climate Change;
- Development of Nigeria’s Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC) to the UNFCCC;
- Collation of Sectoral data and views on National Greenhouse gas emission for all sectors on Nigeria’s economy for the development of Nigeria’s INDC;
- Preparation of National Policy on Climate Change;
- Preparation of National Adaptation Strategy and Plan of Actions on Climate Change for Nigeria (NASPA-CCN).